Every time I have had more than one second to compose a captivating and bone chilling blog entry, something catastrophic happens in my life. I have had announcement after announcement that have dwindled or that have become insignificant at this point. Roughly three weeks ago my father was admitted to St. Josephs hospital for a variety of ailments, including pneumonia, kidney failure, and a blood sugar of 20. After spending some time in the ICU and experiencing "ICU psychosis," he was transferred to a regular bed on the 4th floor. I really thought I was going to loose my dad forever.
Now that he is back at home, he is making his way toward recovery. He is up and walking with a new silver walker, although he complains regularly that it makes him look and feel old. His cane is now slowly being phased back in, despite my mother's dismay. Right now he is at his first doctor's appointment post hospital discharge, and I am anxiously awaiting the results. I am still on edge every time the phone rings and am certain that at any minute he could be readmitted to the hospital.
While spending many a hour in the ICU waiting room, I became friendly with several of the other visitors. It was weird. I know people are in critical condition and pass away everyday, but as many of you know, unfortunately, it is all too common--just day to day life. I met one boy, who looked more like a man, with a large Samoan type Afro. I struck up a conversation with him, after seeing his t-shirt that boasted a former hero of mine, Robert Smith from the band The Cure. I managed to find my old Cure posters and left them for him in the waiting room. Hopefully, that put a smile on his face, at least for the moment.
Then there was the lady who stayed every waking minute and then some to catch a minute with her father, who was now on life support after suffering a major heart attack. For about 5 minutes, every couple of hours or so, the waiting room phone would ring and she would be allowed to visit. Again, just everyday life.
OK, don't close your browser yet. This is bound to become more upbeat. I will change the subject and make some of those announcements that I have been dying to make for about a month or so...Quentin got the job! His pimply pug face will be gracing the bags of Nutro Natural Choice dog food that will be coming soon to a store near you! I am so proud of my pug boy. It was a blast too. The professional photo studio was beautiful, as was the photographer who snapped roughly 500 pictures of my Quentin in a variety of poses. We were done in 45 minutes, collected our $200 and off we went to wait on the 405.
Delilah also had her knee surgery. The surgery went smoothly, and hopefully, Delilah will be up and about in no time at all. Unfortunately, I believe she has been getting slightly depressed lately. Every time she moves or jumps or attempts to play or for that matter do anything at all that might make her happy, I shriek and put her in her soft crate. I have now chosen to utilize the therapeutic skills that I payed USC so much for and rephrase my shrieking into pug friendly empathetic statements of concern for her knee.
And finally, I am proud to announce that I have officially started a private practice, well almost started. I have the office keys, but I won't see clients until July 1. It should be interesting and much different than anything I have done in the past. I will be working on Tuesday afternoons and even hope to start a group that targets overwhelmed first time new moms. Hmmm. I wonder where I got that idea?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow, you have a lot going on, I hope your dad is feeling better!
How on earth did you find your old Cure posters? Did you just take them down last year?
Also, I'm thinking maybe Delilah could be depressed because she's not on her way to becoming a celebrity.
It was great to see you guys! Thanks for coming to my party!
And congrats on the private practice!
Thanks Carolyn. My dad is slowly getting stronger.
Those Cure posters where still on the floor of the room I grew up in! I guess my parents are still mourning my moving out.
Loved the party! Loved you Buds! Let's get together again soon.
Post a Comment