Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Breaking News...Childbirth Cures Aerophobia




Did I remember everything? Diapers-check, Wipes-check, Bananas-check, Lightning McQueen Easter Basket-check, Teddy Bear-check, Bot-check, Juice Box-check, Stroller-check, Detangler-check, don't forget the Bows-check, Clothes-check, Medicine-check, Medicine in case she has a reaction to the Medicine-check, no Quentin you may not be smuggled along in the suitcase-check, the Husband-check, and...what else? Olivia-check.

Speed down the 405. Arrive at the parking spot. Head straight for the self-service ticket machine. Strip down for security. Wait for the plane. Notice the frightened passengers faces as they notice the 2 1/2 year-old boarding their plane. Yes, she will be sitting behind you. Did I remember her banana-check. Fly to Dallas. Take the shuttle to the next plane. Fly to San Antonio. Wait on the freeway. Head to the hotel. Head to the extended family's pad. Eat. Drink. Eat some more, then eat. Sleep. Repeat sequence and head home.

Air travel has changed drastically for me since the birth. Not only do I have to remember to pack half of the house, but I no longer require a highly intoxicated state to board the aircraft. I used to be absolutely petrified to fly. PETRIFIED! I would be up the entire night before and really expected the day of travel to be my last. Morbid, I know. Now let's not get carried away, it isn't like I enjoy it or look forward to it, but the majority of my fear is gone. Perhaps, I wouldn't be able to load my kid on a deathcraft, if I had really believed it wouldn't make it past the runway, or maybe I am just too distracted remembering teddy bears and ointment, or maybe I am too busy modeling how terrific flying is to my enthusiastic toddler. It sounds to me like I am ready to publish and proclaim myself an expert.

Amanda J. Hills, PhD

I kinda like the sound of that. Cheers.

No comments: