Saturday, November 3, 2007

1921

My 86 year-old father recently stayed with us for roughly 5 days. That time seemed to reinforce for me just how little it is that I have experienced. As my dad described a conversation that he had had with a man from the phone company, he explained that he was only 30 or so, so what the hell would he know.

No one seems to know better than he, how to put things into perspective. He is my go to guy, whenever I am sweating small stuff like a job interview, intense social interaction, or financial decision. In his opinion, most things are very small. He even has a song he sings to me that somehow always makes me laugh, even when I am sobbing uncontrollably. I would sing the song to you all, but I might be kicked off blog spot for the unnecessary use of profanity.

My dad is rude, crass, and always says what everyone else is thinking. For some reason though, I always slap him on the arm and pretend to be offended, even though I was thinking the very same offensive thing. He has truly witnessed the change in the times, has experienced the change in himself, and struggled with the changes in others. As he often reminds me, I will never know what it is that he has already forgotten. Wow, does he really say that? Yes he does, and we usually both chuckle afterward.

Who knows, he is probably correct, but for right now it just seems that I am too young to know much of anything but old enough to realize just how little it is that I do know.

No comments: