
Oh what a blog. Blogging can be quite tricky. Actually, it involves careful attention to detail and subject and must incorporate some humor, all while not offending any of its' active blog followers. I can think of many subjects that pop into mind to write about, but I am sure at least 5 of you would not be very appreciative of the titles. I would also hate to go on and on about typical blog subjects, such as what color was my kids latest booger or how happy and fabulous it is to be me. So what does that leave me? I guess it leaves me with close to six months of bloglessness. Currently, I am laying on my bed with the computer on my lap waiting to paint my face on and head to work. The People's Court is blaring in the background and Olivia is sound asleep fighting off her 101 degree fever and occasional cough. I am sifting through my latest adventures in life, and it seems like there are only a few highlights during the last few weeks.
I have to describe to you all my recent experience at the Gentle Barn. For months, I have seen the colorful ad in the local SCV magazine enticing me to pet the cows, brush the pigs, feed the horses, and hold the chickens, so finally Olivia and I made the drive down Sierra Highway to the Gentle Barn. Damon was busy doing man things in the garage, so he missed the journey.
We arrived wearing thongs, okay so I am not a country girl, and immediately noticed the huge property where about 100 or so rescued farm animals call home. Olivia and I made our donation, $5 per person, purchased a 25 cent bag of carrots and headed straight for the cows. All of the cows sported veg friendly names, like Vegan and Karma. I have to admit they were a bit intimidating as they trotted over to grab an orange tasty delight. Olivia begged to be picked up to their level, as she managed to lick the brush she was using on Vegan. Yes, I said lick. The volunteers had obviously bonded with the creatures and each animal seemed to have their favorite.
After leaving the cow arena we headed to the pigs, who wallowed in large mud baths and took naps in the pig houses that had been designed to fit their shapely figures. I had no idea that farm animals, who were treated humanely, really did enjoy human company. Olivia and I were feeding the pygmy goats, chickens and turkey when we noticed Josh the sheep, a former petting zoo survivor with a smile that would make anyone laugh. Olivia immediately proclaimed, "Sheep, me favorite!" With that said, we headed home and agreed to sponsor Josh for the year.
I wish I could describe to you with accuracy the aura that surrounds the Gentle Barn. I was a bit concerned that the horrendous stories of the abused farm animals would sadden me deeply or that it would appear that a person who meant well took on more than she could handle, but the animals truly spoke to me. No, I am not hearing voices, at least not currently. That Sunday was just one of those memories that I won't soon forget. http://www.gentlebarn.org
This blog is dedicated to my biggest supporters, Kaitlyn and Pops.
2 comments:
Glad you have found your inspiration again. I will have to check out the Gentle Barn one of these days and your new family member Josh. Looking forward to more to come!!!
P.S. I am VERY curious about the myriad of "unsafe" topics and the stories they hold! ;o)
I am sure you are curious, because your name wouldn't be mentioned!
Post a Comment